Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Muddy Girls Studio

will be closed on May 4th as we will be getting ready for the Reception at 5pm at The Loading Dock Gallery. We hope to see everyone on May 4th~



The Muddy Girls Studio

announces the art opening and gallery display of their latest pieces. The Muddy, Dirty, Marvelous! show is a culmination of years of work by Barbara Guilmet and Samantha Tucker (aka, The Muddy Girls). The show runs from May 1 through May 26 at The Loading Dock Gallery at Western Avenue Studios, Lowell, Massachusetts and will include original work by each of the artists. The opening reception will be held at the Loading Dock Gallery on May 4 from 5-7 pm.

Look for original works covering sculpture, vessels, and collaborative pieces, including a mixed media display of clay on wood, in this month-long show. The pieces on display are high-fire stoneware and the glazes are mixed by the Muddy Girls themselves. Both women studied with famed master potter/glazer and author John Britt in North Carolina. Guilmet says, "We make all our own glazes. We spent over a year studying, testing formulas, and customizing glazes. Each is unique."

Barbara Guilmet has been playing with clay all her life. "I spent a lot of time outside, turning small rocks into powder with a hammer. I made many mud pies and played with Play-doh. But I really fell in love with pottery making in college." Starting with a B.A. degree from Plymouth State University and continuing to learn though additional classes at the Museum School in Boston and with master potter Yary Lavin, Barb now plays at Western Avenue Studios. About her medium Guilmet says, "I love the way it makes me feel, that you can start with a hunk of mud and wind up with something functional or beautiful, or both. I like the process."

Joining Barb in 2008, Samantha Tucker is always learning. "Much of what I have learned is from Barb, she's a great teacher." says Tucker. "I've learned I am capable. I love getting dirty." When drawing inspiration, Samantha looks toward the natural world. "I tend to draw from nature. I love trees and the natural curves of the body. The human form can be found in many of my pieces, sometimes I set out to be literal and other times the forms just appear."

The Muddy Girls would like to thank Yary Livan, master potter and teacher, for his mentoring and unbridled enthusiasm for life and clay.

Like us on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Muddy Girls thank you for your comment.